Frequently Asked Questions

Summer School Secondary

eLearning courses are independent study, lesson based courses. The teacher provides assistance remotely, by email or Google Meeting using Brightspace. Access to a desktop or laptop computer with high speed internet is required to complete online coursework.

You need to log in at least once a day. The login time can vary, but logging in to your course counts as attending class that day.

Yes. Credit Recovery is available to current grade 9 and 10 HDSB students only. Please refer to your Guidance Counsellor at your home school for next steps. A list of Credit Recovery Courses can be found here.

Yes. Full credit eLearning courses and/or two half credit courses count towards the requirement. Upgrade courses do not.

HDSB students receive their report card electronically by School Messenger email. Report cards for non-HDSB students are mailed to the address provided at the time of registration. Report cards are sent out mid-August.

Summer school is free to current Ontario residents. International students and students who live in another province must pay a fee of $1250 per credit.

You will receive an email confirmation of your seat in class no later than June 21. In the event of a class being cancelled due to low enrolment, you will receive an email advising this.

Marks will be automatically uploaded via OCAS/OUAC.

Yes, there is a final exam for every course. For eLearning courses the exam will be held online and instructions will be provided by the teacher.

HDSB students should contact their Guidance counsellor to discuss their options.

Non-HDSB students cannot register after the deadline. Please review summer school offerings by other school boards as their registration may still be open.

Registrations should be submitted by the deadline dates. However, exceptions may be made for HDSB students who fail their courses on June 28. If there is space available in classes running at our summer schools – Garth Webb SS, Dr Frank Hayden SS, Craig Kielburger SS – we will accept registrations on-site. There is no late registration available for eLearning courses.

Please use this link to register: MyBlueprint

eLearning courses are delivered on Brightspace. Students registered for eLearning classes will be emailed with log-in instructions.

You must complete a Drop/Change Form. Course changes must be received by July 5 at 12:00 p.m. The last day to drop a course without the mark appearing on your official record is July 12th for a Session 1 half credit course, and July 26th at midnight for a Session 2 half credit course or a Full Credit Course.

Summer School Elementary

This is a high school credit course for grade 8 students which allows them to “reach ahead” and earn an elective credit towards their high school diploma in the summer leading up to their high school start. The Reach Ahead course offered in 2024 is GLD2O, Discovering the Workplace, which explores the world of work and different career paths.

Elementary summer school programs are free. A $25 classroom materials fee is charged to students who register for the International & Indigenous Language Elementary (IILE) program.

No. Bussing is not available for students enrolled in Literacy/Numeracy programs, Reach Ahead courses or International and Indigenous Language Elementary (IILE) classes. Families are responsible for transporting their students to and from our summer schools.

Online literacy and numeracy programs are delivered by Google Meet. The program is taught in real time by a teacher in an online classroom. Class numbers are small to allow the teacher to engage with the students.

No, because the programs run at the same time. However, a student may register for a Literacy or Numeracy program in session 1 (July 2 – July 11) and another in session 2 (July 15 – July 25).

Our Google registration form allows selection of the school location and subject. We cannot accommodate requests to place students with their friends or with a particular teacher.

You will receive an email confirmation of your seat in class no later than June 14.


Please refer to the registration section on the page of the program you are interested in. If you are not a HDSB student, you will need to email us proof of identity, Proof Of Ontario Residency (eg. a current utility bill in your name) and proof of legal status in Canada. This information is required to obtain funding for your learning.

Please refer to the course list posted on the page of the program you are interested in. Please note that some courses may be full or may not have sufficient registrations to run.

Some courses are offered fully online, others are offered online and in class and others are offered as in class only. Co-op takes place at your place of work but includes some compulsory class time.

If you are a current student of a Halton District School Board secondary school, please see your guidance office for registration options.

It depends. Unfortunately you cannot be registered at Gary Allan in an online day time credit course if you are a student of another public or catholic school board in Ontario. You may register in summer school, night school, or a non-credit course, for example International and Indigenous Languages (Elementary), if you are a student of another board.

Adult Languages Program

The program is for adults, 18 years and older who are permanent residents or convention refugees. Refugee claimants and Canadian Citizens are also eligible.

If you do not fall under any of the above eligibility categories, you can still register for our courses. A monthly course fee is applicable.

We offer several in-person classes at each of our Gary Allan locations. But, most classes are online.

Under certain circumstances, some clients are eligible for free bus tickets provided by the program.

We offer childcare services for parents registered in the LINC program. No other children are allowed on school property, no matter their age.

All new learners must have a language assessment completed at the Achev or YMCA’s Language Assessment and Referral Centre.

Once you have your assessment results, you may contact to register.

Co-operative Education (Co-op)

We can connect paid employment with a co-op course where the employment is suitable and where the employer is willing to support the course requirements. Please call your local campus for more details.

No. Co-op is a specific course of study that requires consent from the employer via a work-education agreement. Only hours worked while registered as a co-op student in the current academic year can be used for co-op credit.

Proof of hours is only one part of earning a co-op credit. Other assignments, including (but not limited to) log sheets, reflections, safety testing and other summative assessments must be successfully completed in order to earn co-op credits.

Night School

Courses are conditional on enrollment. If we do not have enough students to run a class, we will combine classes if possible. Cancellations will be posted on on February 16th at 4:00 PM. We will not have access to class numbers until that date.

Students may miss a maximum of three classes. Further absences may result in removal from the program.

These are not general interest courses. Classes are for students working towards their high school diploma, completing prerequisites for post-secondary, or fulfilling employment requirements. You will be required to participate in all classes and complete all tests, quizzes, and the final exam. Credits will be recorded onto your permanent Ontario Student Record.

No. Night school classes are currently for students under 21.

HDSB Policies, Procedures & General Information

HDSB’s Violence Threat Risk Assessment is designed to respond to situations where students may pose a threat to themselves or others. It is in place to ensure the best plan of action is available to support students who are at risk of harmful behavior in order to ensure their safety and the safety of others in the school.

The initial response team will include the Principal and/or Vice Principal(s), the Halton Regional Police Service, and certified Board staff; other community partners and additional Board staff may be included as necessary. Additionally, if your child is involved in a VTRA, you will be notified of the procedures involved.

Personal information shared in the process of a VTRA will respect and balance an individual’s right to privacy with the need to ensure student safety, as that is top priority.

In addition to this protocol, students will be educated on school safety and receive a review on what threat making behaviours are not acceptable.

Friday, February 2, 2024 – Gary Allan High School PA Day Agenda – Arrival – 8:45am, Start Time 9:00am

  • Welcome and Land Acknowledgement
  • Update from Administration (9-9:30)
  • 8 Pedagogical Approaches – Asset Based Assessment with the HDSB Shift Team (9:30-11:30)
  • Lunch – 11:30-12:30 – provided
  • Site-based planning (12:30-1:30)
  • Collaborative Planning(1:30-3:10)
  • ‘Excite’ Pass

Friday, February 16, 2024 – Gary Allan High School PA Day Agenda – Arrival – 8:45 am, Start Time 9:00am – Burlington Site

  • 9:00 Land Acknowledgement
  • 9:15 Admin Updates
  • 9:30 Choose Your Own Adventure
    • Key Learning Outcomes for teaching staff
    • SIPSA Planning with Leadership Team
  • 10:30 Semester 2 Self-directed Planning and Collaboration
    • (token pick-up and MFA support, if required)
  • 11:30 Lunch (provided)
  • 12:30 Leveling Up in Online+ with Tanya Williamson

Monday, April 8, 2024 – Gary Allan High School PA Day Agenda – Halton Hills Site – 8:45am – 3:10pm

  • Welcome and Land Acknowledgement
  • 9:15  Admin Updates
  • 9:30  Skilled Trades – Staff Learning Team
  • 11:00  Site-based Team Meetings:  planning for Spring, Midterm Reporting
  • 11:30-12:30  Lunch (provided)
  • 12:30  Curriculum-based Team Meetings
  • 1:20  Transition to Outdoor Education Learning
  • Outdoor Education with the SHIFT Team